How to conduct a successful property viewing

Do I have to have my property PAT tested?


I supply a number of electrical appliances with my property as standard - fridge, freezer, washing machine etc. Am I responsible for having them PAT tested?


After the tragedy at Grenfell Fire, the potential safety issues surrounding portable electrical items came into sharp focus.

As a landlord, you have an overriding responsibility for the safety of your tenant. It is important to remember that all electrical items, including white goods (integrated and freestanding) and other electrical goods must be safe to use, and a PAT test is a great way to make sure that the items are meeting the required safety checks.

A PAT test, which must be carried out by a qualified professional, involves a visual inspection of the appliances, as well as any cables and plugs. It also includes checking for grounding and insulation. The test usually takes place with the appliance remaining in the original location. If the appliance passes the test, a sticker will be put on the plug with a date of the test.

If you own an HMO, PAT testing is a legal requirement. It should be done on an annual basis, with a full electrical inspection of the property, including all wiring and fuse boxes every five years.

It is also worth keeping an eye on product recall notices to make sure that there are no changes to product recall notices. You can double check that there are no recalls to the appliances that you provide here.

Let my property online from

£99 inc VAT

Let your property

FREE Instant Online Valuation

Instant Valuation

Back to top