A landlord in Tiptree was left in a bit of a sticky situation, when a hefty fine put him in a bit of a jam.
Landlord Mohibur Rahman was fined £10,323 for poor property management after Colchester Council’s Private Housing team were made aware of a family living in poor living conditions in his property.
The issues at the Chelmsford-based flat were first brought t the housing teams attention when a business below the property filed reports of water leaking through their ceiling. The leak was considered to be a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, and Rahmen was served with an Abatement Notice.
Further investigation by the council and housing officers led to the discovery of more category one housing offences, including overcrowding, poor sanitation caused by poor plumbing and hygiene in the kitchen and bathrooms, a lack of fire safety precautions, damp and mould, and a risk of burns from scalding water.
Over a month later, a further inspection revealed that no efforts had been made to rectify these issues, and the council began legal proceedings against Rahman.
Poor living conditions can cause immense unhappiness and put lives at risk. Despite repeated attempts to engage with the owners of this property, the Prohibition Order intended to protect residents was ignored. Colchester Borough Council takes its duty to enforce housing standards very seriously and we always take action where we find that accommodation is not being responsibly managed, so I am pleased with the result of this prosecution.Cllr Tina Bourne, portfolio holder for housing and communities
Let my property online from
£99 inc VAT
Sell my property online from
£895 inc VAT