Landlord's urged to explore extended money saving scheme

Whilst it may have felt like spring was in the air last week, it’s fair to say that winter is back with a vengeance!

With so many changes on the landlord landscape, for many making sure you are providing the most efficient, affordable energy options may not be topping the to-do list. However, with changes to the minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) coming into play in April 2018, many landlords will find themselves in hot water with outdated EPCs. With this in mind, it may be time to start taking an interest in your investment’s energy efficiency – and it needn’t be as costly as you think!

The Affordable Warmth Scheme (AWS) has been in place since 2013, and was due to come to a close this month, however it has been announced that the scheme will now be extended until September 2018.

If you are a landlord letting to a tenant who receives certain benefits, you could be eligible to receive a grant to cover the cost of replacing a boiler or storage heaters, not only helping make your tenants bills more affordable, but also giving your property’s EPC a boost!

Your tenant must receive one of the following benefits in order to be eligible for the grant:

  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less)
  • Working Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less)
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit (and you earned £1,250 or less after tax in any assessment period in the last 12 months)

For certain benefits, one of the following must also apply:

  • Your tenant receives Child Tax Credit and their child is disabled
  • Your tenant receives Disabled Child Premium
  • Your tenant receives Disability Premium
  • Your tenant receives Pensioner Premium
  • Your tenant receives a work-related activity or support component - if you’re claiming income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Your tenant is 60 or over - if they are claiming Working Tax Credit
  • Your tenant has a limited capability for work or work-related activity element - if they're claiming Universal Credit
  • Your tenant receives Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment - if you’re claiming Universal Credit

The grants are being offered in order to tackle fuel poverty, and supporting households on lower incomes, with 4.7 million households in the UK eligible for a boosting grant.

To see if your property might be eligible for a grant, or for more information on how to apply, visit or contact the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234.

Let my property online from

£99 inc VAT

Let your property

FREE Instant Online Valuation

Instant Valuation

Back to top